The Manipura Chakra is located around the abdomen and is third in the series. This area is where self esteem and willpower come from. Often you’ll hear people say that the stomach is the second brain and this chakra is directly related to that idea. It is in charge of metabolism and digestion and therefore, transformation in many other ways.
1. The color yellow is connected to this chakra.
2. It’s associated with the stomach and other digestive organs like the spleen and gall bladder.
3. The mantra to help balance this chakra is Ram; say it out loud.
4. Yellow foods help to balance Manipura, like bananas, yellow peppers, squash, and complex carbs.
5. When there is an imbalance in this chakra the body will experience a variety of stomach troubles, ulcers, and lack of confidence.
6. If your Manipura chakra is overstimulated it can result in feelings of anger and hatred, as well as a desire to control people and situations.
7. Poses to help balance this chakra are: boat, as well as any abdominal work, sun salutations, twists of any kind, and the warrior series. If this chakra is too strong, backbends are a good counter to ease the energy.
Finding balance in this chakra will bring vitality to your entire body. “20 million women and 10 million men suffer from a clinically significant eating disorder at some time in their life…” according to nationaleatingdisorders.org. In adolescents eating disorders and conditions like IBS are prevalent. Developing a strong abdomen is a good way to build strength throughout the body and help the organs get stronger as well.
Our YogiDance symbol resembles this chakra because of it’s importance in the whole of life. When this area suffers, it can affect others areas of our body and life.
With kids it is fun to pretend they are rowing a boat; try to make a habit of doing this with them every day to build strength in their core. Being mindful of staying away from processed foods, sugar, and just about everything in the freezer section of the store will help to build strong healthy bodies!