There are many levels of healing in yoga, and I’d like to focus the next 7 posts on chakras and teaching you 7 things about each one. Chakras are 7 centers on the body where nadis intersect. Nadis are energy channels that run throughout the body. Yoga poses help to open and balance the chakras allowing for better health. The 7 chakras are the root, sacral, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown. Each chakra relates to different parts of the body.
I’ll start with the root chakra.
1. The root chakra relates to our ability to be grounded, and stable. It also relates to organs in that area like the colon as well as the feet and legs.
2. It’s located at the base of the spine.
3. When out of balance in this chakra we can have anxiety and worry.
4. Each chakra has a mantra associated with it and when you say the mantra your tongue hits certain reflex points in your mouth that help balance the chakra. The mantra for the root chakra is LAM, you can make a fun activity out of saying this with your kids.
5. Each chakra has a color associated with it. The color of the root is red. Eating natural foods that are a shade of red will help to balance that chakra.
6. The root chakra is associated with being grounded, if there are times in your life where you are uprooted, like moving, or major life changes that make you feel unstable, doing the things associated with the root will help you find balance.
7. There are many yoga poses to help balance the root chakra. Focusing on any pose that strengthens the legs will be valuable. Practice chair, tree, or dancer based on your level of experience, and the warrior poses.
Always notice how your body is feeling, and what emotional state you’re in. When we become aware of these things, and how we’re reacting to certain situations in our lives, we can turn to yoga to help bring our mind and body back to balance!